Home Page Erving Northfield Shutesbury
Eastern Franklin County
Health District

Serving Erving, Northfield and Shutesbury, Massachusetts

Shutesbury Board of Health


The Shutesbury Board of Health meets the first and third Wednesday of every month at Town Hall.  To request to be put on the agenda, please leave a message at the Board of Health telephone – 259-2122.  You can also email the Board at Boardhealth@shutesbury.org


Further information for the Town may be found at the Town website:  www.shutesbury.org


Well Permits:   Shutesbury has well regulations that call for an application process. To get an application, please call 259-2122 and leave a message that you are requesting a well permit.                    


Percolation Tests:  Perc testing is allowed during Shutesbury’s perc season, which is March 1 through April 30. Please call the District office at 413-549-3710 to schedule a test.  Your engineer should call to schedule, and arrange for a back-hoe to be present for the testing.  Fees are:  $200 for the first 2 hours, and $50.00 for each hour thereafter.


Septic Plan review:  Shutesbury uses the Title V code as specified by the State of Massachusetts.  Please see the website at: http://mass.gov/dep/water/wastewat.htm   Please send 3 copies of completed application, plans and fee ($200.00 with check payable to Town of Shutesbury) to Shutesbury Board of Health at at Town Hall, and one completed set (plan and application page) to:  EFCHD, Deborah Palmer, PO Box 240, Hadley, MA. 01035.  Your plan will be reviewed promptly and a permit issued by the Board after the next meeting.


Food Establishments:  The Town issues all permits annually. Inspections are made by the District.  Please call and leave a message at the Board of Health at 259-2122 to pay annual permitting fee.  NOTE:  Please call Deborah Palmer or David Zarozinski at the District office prior to doing any construction on new food establishments – your plans must be reviewed and approved prior to opening! 


Mobile Food Permits (Temporary Food vending):  There is an application for selling food at a one or two day event. Please call the District to have a form sent to you.  You must be approved prior to the event.  Food vendors must have passed the state’s Serve Safe food handling course.


Housing Complaints:  The District investigates all tenant complaints regarding substandard housing. Please call the office at 413-549-3710.


Recreation Camps:  Rec camps for children are regulated by State Regulations, which may be found at:


Please call the District office at 413-549-3710 if you are considering offering a rec camp in the Town.  Application must be made by March 30 of the year you are offering a program.

Website Builder